Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.
● Discuss the three event albums that came out this week.
● What are the basic properties of an event album? Have they changed in
● Ariana Grande-Positions: While Ariana has shown growth from album to
album (Last years Thank You, Next has an 86 on Metacritic) this one
really steps into a different space and does what I’ve never heard her
● Busta Rhymes-Extinction Level Event 2: Wrath of God: This is clearly a
spiritual relative of Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx 2. Rae took
years on it and crafted it until it was undeniable. Busta’s last album
was in 2012. He has been building and crafting this for years and wanted
it to be too long, too much. Just to show everyone how much he could do.
● Wizkid-Made In Lagos: Wizkid is the Nigerian artist who charts around
the world. His 2017 album-Sounds From The Other Side charted in Canada
France Belgium and the UK. Most of the production is handled by PSJ and
the features are R&B heavy. While Skepta pops in, Ella Mai and H.E.R.
really shine. Very different kind of event. One to contrast against the
- The one word to keep in mind when thinking about event albums is
CONFIDENCE. Can’t throw an event without it.